Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Fix network problems after upgrade laptop to Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have upgraded my Ubuntu(32-bit) version up to 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) on my HP Compaq 6720s laptop.

After upgrade, I got bluetooth working from the box, however I was not able to detect any network with NetworkManager. NetworkManager displayed absence of network availability, even with wired network working well.

After move to wicd tool for network connection and monitoring, I got wired and wireless networks working, and status of connection also displayed well.

What have I done:


$ sudo apt-get remove network-manager
$ sudo apt-get install wicd

reboot OS;


After reboot I have got new (wicd instead of network manager) icon for displaying network availability, and also ability to connect to wireless netowrk through wicd GUI like it was done before through network manager gui.



Left click on icon will provide you with panel of networks selection.

My laptop network cards, for which it is working:

~$ lspci | grep Netw
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562GT 10/100 Network Connection (rev 03)
10:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)

No comments: